Toasted Coconut Flakes
- 1 medium coconut
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (heaped)
- Break coconut open with the blunt side of a butcher knife (note: have a bowl nearby to collect the coconut water). Hold the knife in one hand then hold the coconut in another hand. Hit the coconut with the knife several times around its perimeter until it opens up. Pour coconut water into bowl and set aside.
- Shred the coconut using the small shredding side of a box grater. Alternately, use the shredding function of your food processor.
- Place coconut and sugar into a non-stick pan on medium heat. Keep stirring until the coconut turns a beautiful golden brown color. This takes about 15 minutes.
- Spread on a tray to cool then enjoy!